Bob's Studebaker Resource Website

Turner Kit on a Champ Truck

Merlin Klotz - Aug 2013

Anyone who can figure out how to take a Jeep master cylinder, a GM caliper and a Ford rotor and with 3 machined brackets bring a 58 year old vehicle he's never seen into the twenty first century is either a genius, a hero or someone to have on your side. Kudos Jim!

I was impressed with the fit of the bracket to hub when I trial mated them just to make sure all bolt holes were the right size and in the right location with the spindle... so perfect they must have been within several ten thousands of an inch. Once satisfied with this I turned to the directions as hard as that is for me to do.

First instruction is red Locktite and torque plate 1 to plate 2. That freshly plated part was not going to get scratched in my vice and I don't have the strength to hold it in one hand while I torque it to 80 pounds. My Solution:

Temporarily reverse mount it on the outside of spindle with one bolt so I could torque plate 1 to plate.


Mounting plates to spindle perfect fit and no problem.

Putting bushing on the spindle... On the first one, I started with to small a tip on my MAP torch, didn't get it hot enough so I nearly didn't get it on. Second one went on like the big boys do it.

Studebaker spindle washer is exactly the same size as hole in Ford Rotor so with it rotor is not going to turn. Just happened to have picked up 2 grade 8 washers from Murdocks of the right size.

Everything on and looking good until I attempted to connect the brake line to brake hose. With spring fully extended and wheels turned as with body off or in a critical control situation, the banjo bolt places the hose below the frame and in a position to potentially be kinked or severed.

Click for larger image

I visited NAPA and my other trusty parts stores asking for a fitting or hose that would come straight out of the banjo fitting instead of at a 90 degree angle. You'd have thought it was the Comedy Works when I asked such a question. On the way home I contemplated drilling an M8 1.25 bolt, tapping it and making my own fitting as if I had the tools and skill set to do that.


Click for larger image

I removed the hose, placed a bolt in the banjo hole to keep filings out, marked and cut the rear lip from the "U" casting that the banjo bolt sits in. This allowed the banjo to point to the rear of the car instead of at the spring and solved the problem.

Thanks again Jim for two great kits.

Addendum by Sweetolbob

Today I stole your idea and did my calipers. I heeded your warning and used a banjo bolt and bored out an 1/8" pipe coupling to cover the seats.

It worked out well.

You can see by the scoring on the coupling, protection was necessary. I used a 3" cutting wheel and a 1/4" carbide bit on an air die grinder to attack the caliper.

Thanks for the idea.


Here's a BEFORE photo...

Click for larger image