Ad from the Ames Community Centennial Booklet of 1964
The Whattoff Motor Company was founded in 1928 by Joe Whattoff as a filling station with two service stalls employing one additional person who was assisted part time by the two Whattoff sons. The plant included a small office area and a slightly larger service area with a total of 1000 square feet of floor space and an estimated 7,000 square feet of lot space. As business as a service station and Studebaker dealership expanded, the company moved in 1939 from its 2602 Lincoln Way site around the corner to 118 Hayward.
Whattoff Station ad in the West Ames News of November, 1930