Whattoff Motor Company - Page 2

click to enlarge

1953 promotional display at Whattoff Motor Company
These photos were taken for an ad in the Ames Daily Tribune.

click to enlarge

The Shell gas pumps which have been removed by 1953 are visible in this photo leaning against the north wall of the Whattoff Studebaker dealership.  The sign for the Ladies restroom is seen above the pumps.

Wilson G. Throckmorton of Ames purchased a new 1960 Lark station wagon on May 4, 1960 from Whattoff Motor Company.  Two days later he passed away at the age of 50 from myocardial infarction due to coronary thrombosis.  Vernard Whattoff is shown above handing Mrs. Throckmorton the cancelled papers and the title stamped paid in full to the new station wagon.  Dan McNamara of Interstate Finance Corporation is shown on the left.

Current view of 118 Hayward - originally Joe Whattoff's service station

In 1956 the company, by this time owned by Joe's sons Donald J. Whattoff and Vernard J. Whattoff, moved again to 3605 West Lincoln Way where the facilities included a 200 by 60 foot building and a 150 by 230 foot lot with a 75 car capacity.  By 1963 the dealership employed six to eight men for the sales and service of the Studebaker line.  Approximately 70 percent of the car sales and service is local with the remaining 30 percent from the rest of Iowa.  However, there is more to the Whattoff story.

(next page)